WARWICK ACADEMICS – ACT NOW!
SIGN UP FOR THE FORTHCOMING UNIVERSITY ASSEMBLY TO STOP THE DOWNGRADING OF YOUR TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Stuart Croft, VC for the University of Warwick, has called an assembly on Friday 12 May (10:30 to 11:30 in Oculus 1.05) over the reform of Warwick’s Employment Statute (Statute 24).
The changes to the Employment Statute being proposed by the Provost constitute a massive downgrading of the redundancy, disciplinary/dismissal, grievance and appeal procedures for staff on academic, teaching-only and research-only contracts. This is the most serious attack on academic freedom and job security since UK universities abolished tenure nearly 30 years ago.
The assembly will vote on a formal motion calling for the university to revise the employment statute, instead of gutting it; and for Council not to approve any changes until they have the support of the affected staff, UCU, Heads of Department and Senate.
The replacement Statute is much weaker than the current one because, amongst other things, it abolishes the Academic Redundancy Committee and the right to have appeals heard by an independent legal expert. Further information about the specific changes can be found at our dedicated website: http://warwickucu.org.uk/campaigns/statute-24/
The Law School and History department have already passed motions opposing the changes. Other departments are scheduling extraordinary staff meetings to discuss this one issue.
The campaign needs everyone’s support. We can’t let down the next generation of Warwick teachers and researchers. We can’t let the legal safeguards that have protected Warwick academics for nearly 30 years get abolished on our watch.
What can I do?
- Register for the assembly asap;
- Get academic colleagues to register for the assembly;
- Get eligible staff to join UCU so they can take vote in the forthcoming ballot;
- Direct people to the dedicated Warwick UCU Save Our Statute website. It has lots of information and an FAQ section rebutting everything in the official version.
- Table a motion at your next departmental meeting requiring your Head of Department to write to the Provost outlining staff concerns. If your department doesn’t table motions, or your HoD is resistant, at least get it discussed; contact Warwick UCU President (Justine.email@example.com) for help with this;
Warwick UCU committee.